
We had the sad duty of putting our sweet cocker, Cammie, down today. She's been failing for quite some time and we knew this day was rapidly approaching. She stopped eating entirely Mon. afternoon, and she shivered all the time. She was extremely thin, but up until yesterday she still had a look of interest in her eyes. Yesterday she looked like she was either in pain or just not feeling well. We loved her a lot and tried to call the vet, but there was no answer. I go to a vet who is about 80 years old. His wife called me last night and said that a week ago he was eating dinner, had a coughing spell and passed out for a short time. He fell off his chair, hit his head on the cabinets and broke his neck. I gasped when she told me this. There is no spinal chord damage, but can you imagine? I feel bad for him.
I called the other vet in that small town, Cammie had gone to him for some things the first vet no longer does. His partner took care of her for us, very compassionately.
Needless to say, the last few days have been no fun here. I don't remember when I've cried so much. I think the anticipation of having to do it is harder than the aftermath. Not that that's been all that easy. Tomorrow is a new day, though.
I see her wherever I look, running in the yard, laying in one of her favorite spots. She was my shadow. Rhoda

Oh Rhoda, I am so sorry for your loss. I know you will miss her. When you are ready, that photo would be a lovely project to quilt.- cw
ReplyDeleteRhoda, I'm so sorry. It's never easy when we lose our fur "children" as they are part of our family. Sending hugs...
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your loss. She looks like a sweet little thing. Sending hugs from me too.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out for you, Rhoda. Cammie was such a good friend of yours. Each day gets a little better, but it takes a long time to really get over losing her. Poor thing is out of her suffering now.
ReplyDeleteOh, Rhoda, my heart sends out good wishes for you. It is so hard to lose such a close friend. And, you are right, the getting ready for what must be done is so much harder than after it is done. Now, the healing can begin. It will get better every day. Take care, and keep a tissue box close by. Lane
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a good friend and companion. Bernie
ReplyDeleteOh Rhoda I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to loose such a dear friend but be sure he was worth your decision to let him sleep. There is no need to let him have pain.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Try to remember what a good life you gave her and all the love she brought to your life. It's hard to lose them, but it would be harder to have never had them in your life! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteRhoda I just read your post. I'm so sorry about your loss. I miss my animals so much but my son can't handle losing them at all so won't agree to let me bring anymore pets home. It's been about 5 years since I lost my Retriever and our tabby cat. Sometimes I think I can still hear them. I hear the dog flopping himself down outside my room or the cat scratching his ears. Our pets are family members. The pain goes away but missing them never does - but that's okay cause that's keeping their memory alive.
ReplyDeleteOh Rhoda that is so sad! I'm so sorry for you. It is so hard watching a pet you love suffer. Bless sweet Cammie and I hope that you have a beautiful photo of her taking pride of place somewhere so she is always with you. Sam xox
ReplyDelete