Sunday, August 1, 2010

Hawks

I have spent no time sewing in the last 3 or 4 weeks. I'm happy to say I finally finished my painting and we are putting the bathroom back together. Exciting things like new toilet innards and towel bars. I have also spent a lot of time dealing with the fruits of my labors in the garden. I've canned more beans than I really need, but I'm not one to throw away God's bounty. I do have some friends who might want to come pick and deal with my extras. Some things are going gangbusters, but others have a lot of blossoms but no fruit. Every year is different.

Probably the most fun thing recently is that we have this hatching of hawks. We had one last year at this time, too, but they didn't stay so close to our house. These fly around our house a good share of the day. We first saw them on Sunday two weeks ago before heading to church. One was sitting on the pool fence. He'd raise his wings as if to fly and hop a few boards over. He did that several times, leading us to believe he didn't really have the hang of it yet.

We think they are Coopers Hawks. My BIL says it's rare to see them so close to houses. We have many ancient trees on our yard - it was an old farmstead. They could have nested anywhere in those. Can you imagine the size next it takes to hold these 3? The 3 are often seen together. They sometimes all sit on the clothesline posts at the same time. At this particular time, there was one on the pool fence, two on the clothesline post. One morning this week I was starting breakfast, a little bleary-eyed, turned around to find one on our deck railing looking at me! I was awake. They are beautiful creatures. However, they have pretty much chased away the songbirds, because that's a large part of their diet.

Thanks for taking a peek at my world of wonder!
Rhoda

4 comments:

  1. just majestic. I drove by a field that had a hundred or so. the farmer said they just keep growing. I wonder what they are feeding on. It is normal to see groups of 2 - 4 but much more than that is wierd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting that they are so close. Pretty pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos. I saw an Osprey nest once, it was huge. We have a lot of hawks around here, Red Tail Hawks but you never see them close to a house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the pics - and the information. I couldn't tell one type of hawk from another, but we do have them around here, some of them very large! I wish I had a clotheline - I think everything smells so good when dried outside. Bernie

    ReplyDelete